This is such a fun question. Thank you so much for asking this! I’m totally serious by the way. Between my younger cousin passing away AND my friend suffering a stroke (at a young age) in January, this question has really helped me cope. My life is usually hectic. This past month has been INSANE. So here we go.
There is no one thing a person can do when life goes nuts. It would be amazing if such a strategy existed. But then again, that might make life too easy on us humans. We tend to learn (if we do) by trial and error. In my blogs I usually write exercises but I’m going to shake things up a little this time. What you will see below is my list of things that I do when life goes nuts. Allow me to introduce you to Caren’s 29 Things To Do When Life Gets Serious:
- Take photos of what’s ‘nuts’ in your life. Keep them. Trust me…you will laugh later.
- Give all the dogs or cats (both?) at your local animal control or shelter the attention they deserve.
- Eat only red foods for a day. Did I hear someone say ‘red velvet cupcake’?
- Plug in your headphones and sing out – in public.
- Make little notes of why certain people are important in your life. Then leave these notes in places said people will definitely find.
- Program all the channels in your car radio to the same station and have your passenger change channels.
- Find out whether brunettes, blondes or red heads have more fun. May I suggest a wig?
- Choose a good book and get lost in it. Writing as a graduate student…this is completely insane.
- Start a journal of tips for the future generations of your family.
- Watch a reality tv show. Realize how good your life actually is.
- Ever heard of Method Acting? Choose your favorite character and act like them…within reason of course.
- Shut of your phone, tablet, tv, computer (you get the picture) for a couple of hours. Double dare…
- Eat dessert for dinner…and for dessert.
- Answer the phone “Xena Warrior Princess” or any other character from your favorite childhood show.
- Photoshop yourself doing things you’ve secretly wanted to. Now go do them!
- Showcase your guilty pleasure.
- Learn how to fix your car. Start with the basics. Yes, I’ve done this.
- Write a book. Yes, I’ve done this too.
- Run a hot bath, light some candles, pour a glass of wine, find your favorite cd (your ipod will suffice) and relax. Unless you smell smoke, you’re glued to that tub.
- Actually fix what needs fixing in your house.
- Rearrange rooms in your house.
- Go for a drive. Leave your GPS at home. Get lost…on purpose. Use paper maps to find your way back.
- Stand in the rain and let it drench you. It will help wash away any fears.
- Have a conversation with your friend in pig latin.
- Meditate, even for a couple of minutes, or do yoga. Pilates maybe?
- Bellydance! This is harder than it seems. Are you up for the challenge?
- Read Shakespeare’s sonnets. Understand and feel them.
- Get caught with your hand in the cookie jar and be proud of it.
- Put on your best outfit and go out with friends. Make sure they do the same.
Life can get insane. Sometimes we feel like we can’t do anything about anything. That feeling is hard to deal with. So go do something! Silly and completely random things can bring a smile to your face and others. You’ll be surprised how much it can brighten your day.
Go forth and be nuts!